It was my second day of stay in Moscow, I and my friend was out for shopping. It is mandatory in Russia for a foreigner to carry all travel related papers with him at all times. As per the rule, we carried all the papers with us. on my way back, a cop on duty summoned us, although I had all the papers with me I was bit apprehensive and as obvious he verified my passport , stamps and ???. he was asking me something more.we were baffled. As usual he never uttered a word in English. what is he asking for ?.
All that I was saying to him was "Can you speak English? Eng...lish..... English". After repeated echoing of same statement he took a piece of paper from his pocket and showed me something written in English, it read "All foreign nationals are required to carry Passport and registration Certificate all the time blah...blah....blah " oops I realized i am missing something, but what is that registration certificate? I said "I don't have" .
Readers have to understand even though I write "I said" it required arduous effort from us to make him understand what we saying.
Now that we are Missing something from our side and he got a good point. He came close to me and took out a pocket diary and wrote number 7000 and said "roubleee". we are more baffled , he again told "Roubleee" uh ..."Money money " .. oh ! got it "Roubles" . he was asking for 7000 roubles.
My God!!! 7000 Roubles. we said " no no " ..."no money" with some expression and he again wrote something ... this time 6000.. again he saw us.. but again a "NO" from us.
.... again he wrote 4000 and he also said "here ...here now or blah... blah .. blah" we understood that he is saying us to pay 4000 roubles there or he is saying he will take us with him. he also told "Me .... police ...duty ..uh job .. document .....money " . we understood that he is trying to say " i am a police on duty and as you don't have the document you have to pay the money.
we were totally stunned and we dint have a little idea of what to do, just then a passer by stopped at us,seeing our conversation with the cop and thank god, he helped interpreting. then we got to know that it is a Local police registration certificate which we wanna get., yeah now i remember .. the landlord of the apartment taking photocopies of our passport to get the same telling us he will give it in three working days.
After explaining this through our interpreter he let us go.!!!
Thanks for the interpreter who helped us.
All that I was saying to him was "Can you speak English? Eng...lish..... English". After repeated echoing of same statement he took a piece of paper from his pocket and showed me something written in English, it read "All foreign nationals are required to carry Passport and registration Certificate all the time blah...blah....blah " oops I realized i am missing something, but what is that registration certificate? I said "I don't have" .
Readers have to understand even though I write "I said" it required arduous effort from us to make him understand what we saying.
Now that we are Missing something from our side and he got a good point. He came close to me and took out a pocket diary and wrote number 7000 and said "roubleee". we are more baffled , he again told "Roubleee" uh ..."Money money " .. oh ! got it "Roubles" . he was asking for 7000 roubles.
My God!!! 7000 Roubles. we said " no no " ..."no money" with some expression and he again wrote something ... this time 6000.. again he saw us.. but again a "NO" from us.
.... again he wrote 4000 and he also said "here ...here now or blah... blah .. blah" we understood that he is saying us to pay 4000 roubles there or he is saying he will take us with him. he also told "Me .... police ...duty ..uh job .. document .....money " . we understood that he is trying to say " i am a police on duty and as you don't have the document you have to pay the money.
we were totally stunned and we dint have a little idea of what to do, just then a passer by stopped at us,seeing our conversation with the cop and thank god, he helped interpreting. then we got to know that it is a Local police registration certificate which we wanna get., yeah now i remember .. the landlord of the apartment taking photocopies of our passport to get the same telling us he will give it in three working days.
After explaining this through our interpreter he let us go.!!!
Thanks for the interpreter who helped us.
No comments:
Post a Comment